Volume Two ~ New South Wales
Railway Hotels of Australia
Railway Hotels of New South Wales is the second volume of the Railway Hotels of Australia series, and follows on from the successful release of Volume One, Railway Hotels of Victoria.
This book by Scott Whitaker, railway enthusiast and part-time historian, details the history of every Railway Hotel that trades, or once traded in New South Wales.
The book contains a wealth of information on the history of railways in New South Wales, and explores the social, economic and political themes that helped to shape the state.
Consisting of 312 pages in length, this hardcover book contains hundreds of historic and contemporary images on high quality art paper, and includes a range of advertisements and anecdotes that add interest and establish the mood of the era.
Many readers will find it enjoyable, from railway and hotel hobbyists, publicans, as well as people who are interested in local or social history, and architecture.
210mm x 297mm
Order Volume Two
RRP $70 (+ $15 Postage) – Australia Wide Only
Secure Payment via PayPal
All books ordered direct will be personally signed by the author, Scott Whitaker
Railway Hotels of New South Wales
Booyong Railway Hotel
“… John Robertsn advertised in the Northern Star (Lismore) of 12 Setpember 1891, of his intention to apply for a licence for premises to be erected at Pearce’s Creek, and to be known as the Railway Hotel” – p.29
Bourke Railway Hotel
“… Other sporting events were held at the Railway Hotel. In the late 1890s, a buggy race to Werribee and back was organised. Then the Yarraville Sports and Athletics Club was founded at the hotel in 1899.” – p.247
Parkes Railway Hotel
“… Agitation to obtain a railway to serve the town began in earnest in the 1870s. After suffing the usual unfulfilled political promises, the locals had to be content with the 1884 proposal that routed the line from Molong direct to Forbes, thus bypassing Parkes by some 30km…” – p.183
Parramatta Railway Hotel
“… When the railway, now part of the Main Western line, was extended to Blacktown on 4 July 1860, a new Parramatta station was provided at Church Street, Parramatta. The Railway Tavern was located on the western side of Church Street…” – p.185
“… I congratulate Scott for achieving this substantial compilation, and commend the book to a wide readership: railway and hotel hobbyists, publicans, people with an interest in local or social history, or with an interest in architecture. Many readers may be enthused to seek and sample survivors, and join the spirits of patrons and publicans from the early years…”
Roderick B Smith, retired editor Rail News Victoria